Wednesday, December 17, 2014

A Memorable Thanksgiving in Texas!


 Prior to coming to the U.S. for my studies, I have always wondered what makes the Thanksgiving holiday so special among U.S. citizens.

With much anticipation, I got an invitation to attend a Thanksgiving dinner hosted by one of our professors. She had a lovely house in Austin, Texas, and she invited all of the international students of our program. To make the occasion unique, the dinner was arranged as a potluck dinner, meaning that everybody was encouraged to bring and share their own home-cooked food. The professor took care of preparing the traditional turkey and the rest of arrangements. Needless to say, most people showed up with excellent dishes coming from all over the world, since this was an international event.




Prior to the dinner, we played soccer and a few games in the nice courtyard in front of the house. After the dinner, each one of us wrote on a small piece of paper about what we are thankful for. The professor collected all these papers and hanged them on a tree-shaped wallpaper. It was such a memorable moment to see what everybody was truly thankful for.

Overall, it was such a lovely experience and I am glad I had the chance to be part of it. What makes this holiday special is its common purpose of being thankful. I also heard that people can celebrate Thanksgiving in many different ways which makes this holiday truly unique. I am glad I got to experience it with my fellow international students and I hope to get the chance to experience it again sometime in the future.

Ahmed Almulla is a Bahraini Fulbrighter pursuing an MBA at Texas A&M University.

No comments:

Post a Comment