Monday, February 23, 2015

An Experience of a Lifetime


I would like to share an incredible experience that was probably the best thing that ever happened to me. As part of the Tumor Biology Master’s program at Georgetown University, I signed up for a Breast Cancer Conference class where top-notch oncologists, radiologists, pathologists and surgeons meet once a week to discuss a current case and determine which protocols to follow with the patient. During the course, I got the chance to observe my first breast cancer lumpectomy at the Georgetown University Hospital. It was breathtaking! I was shocked as the surgeon, Dr. Oppong, looked at me and said, “Have you seen a surgery before? This can’t be your first time observing a surgery. You haven’t fainted yet!” To her surprise, it was the first time I ever wore scrubs.





Nataly Naser Al Deen is a Lebanese Fulbrighter who is pursuing a Master’s in Tumor Biology at Georgetown University.

No comments:

Post a Comment