Tuesday, July 15, 2014

My July 4th Experience in the USA




I was ready to celebrate Independence Day in New York City but I was so sad that the weather forecast was bad. Storm Arthur was approaching NYC and there was a possibility of postponing the fireworks celebration over NYC from the Brooklyn Bridge! Just a day before the event, the forecast said it would be cleared on the 4th by 5:00pm but with the possibility of rain, so I took the trip from Valhalla, NY to NYC to set up my tripod and camera. I had to put all of the tutorials I watched on Youtube on “how to catch the fireworks on camera” in action, because this was my first time watching fireworks and I never had this exciting event in Iraq.



I stood there on the shore of the Brooklyn Bridge Park facing the great history before my eyes, the great landscape of NYC and the sunset behind that great city and nation which is based on free men who wrote “freedom” on the wall of eternity once upon a time, and all Americans celebrating this moment from now till the end of time, this is the power of free will.





Ammar Al-Attar is an Iraqi Fulbrighter pursuing an MS in Physiology at New York Medical College.

No comments:

Post a Comment