Friday, April 18, 2014

Celebration of Eid ul-Adha in the USA

Eid ul-Adha is a family gathering day. It is one of the best celebration days for Muslims. It happens to be 70 days following the end of the month of Ramadan. On this day most Muslim families sacrifice sheep as the essential part of the celebration.

Personally, it is one of my favorite celebrations within the calendar year and I have always done my best to celebrate it with my family. Unfortunately, it was not my first time celebrating this day outside of my country. Therefore, I intended to do something better than ever this year, so I could enjoy it properly. I was new in the United States last year and it was not easy for me to arrange something. As I have transitioned, this year was unique for me. I was able to celebrate the event twice and enjoyed it so much. The first celebration was on Eid ul-Adha: after attending the morning prayer at a local mosque I spent the rest of the day with Arab families and friends at a local farm near the city of Lacey. The amazing thing that I did was that I sacrificed my own sheep, and we spent the whole day on the farm enjoying barbecue and some traditional Arab food. It was beautiful day and the sun was shining.

The second celebration was the second weekend after Eid ul-Adha at my apartment with friends from the university.

   


Actually, during the week of Eid ul-Adha I had discussions with some of my classmates at the university and one of my American friends told me about his experience with the previous Eid that follows the month of Ramadan. He visited one of the Middle East countries a few years ago, and during our discussion the idea came to my mind to invite them to my place to celebrate it together again and enjoy delicious lamb and some Mediterranean food.



A lovely thing was that, a day after, some of them were calling and asking me if there was some food left, because they loved the taste of the food so much.

Zahreddin Massud is a Libyan Fulbright grantee pursuing a Master of Engineering Management at Saint Martin’s University.



No comments:

Post a Comment