Monday, July 1, 2013

Giving back to the community: The Blood-Donation way

Since I have come to the U.S., I was always thinking about giving back to the community that generously provided me with the Fulbright scholarship. I thought for quite a bit of time about different volunteer opportunities nearby since not having a car limited my options. Meanwhile, I remembered that the Student Union has always hosted Red Cross Blood Drives, and I immediately knew this was the best way to express my gratitude. I checked their schedule for the next blood drive so I could attend. The day of the donation, after a long, but necessary medical screening process, I finally donated one complete unit of blood. Afterwards, I felt immensely satisfied and happy that I was finally able to return the favor, at least to some degree.




Ali Alsaqqa is a Fulbright Grantee from Gaza studying Physics at the University at Buffalo.

No comments:

Post a Comment