Friday, November 9, 2012

What Fulbright Means to Me - Tawfiq

In Beit Lahia, Gaza Strip, I was born into a low-income family, and I grew up there. I used to work in agriculture fields to help support my education. Growing up in this situation, I realized how important it was for low income families to have access to education. I joined the Computer Science Department at the faculty of Information Technology at the Islamic University of Gaza (IUG). Throughout my study at the IUG, I kept my dream of becoming an excellent student in front of my eyes. In July 2006, the dream came true and I graduated with the highest GPA among the Faculty of Information Technology class of 2006.

The same year, 2006, I was recruited as a teaching assistant in the Faculty of Information Technology at IUG. I gained strong experience in teaching computer science courses. After one year, I joined Al Aqsa University as a teaching assistant, where I taught labs in computer programming, database, and algorithms. After two years of working as a teaching assistant, I joined the Islamic University as computer labs supervisor. I also worked as an instructor in Computer Science at the Community College of Applied Science (CCAST). Through my work, I have gained strong skills in teaching and problem solving. Furthermore, I have developed strong interpersonal skills. After four years of different work experiences, I realized how important it was for me to improve my knowledge in my field to be able to help my people and to contribute significantly to providing a good educational environment for our people. I began looking for graduate study opportunities in a well-known university to improve my knowledge in my field. As a Palestinian, I believe that only through education can we build and develop our country.

In 2010 I got the Fulbright Scholarship to complete my graduate study in U.S. The Fulbright provided me with the opportunity to discover the world, meet new people from all over the planet, explore different cultures, and see how similar people are. Through the Fulbright, I had the chance to improve both my personal and professional level. After two years as a Fulbrighter, I am totally different. Today I have a completely different view of the world. The Fulbright experience is the most wonderful experience I ever had. I advise everyone who is looking to be a successful leader in his society that the Fulbright Program is the best way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment