Sunday, July 1, 2018

A Year in the Fulbright Life: Marwa's Story

July 2018

My first Fulbright destination was the Golden State, California, where I had the chance to meet around 40 Fulbright students from all over the world at my Pre-Academic Program at San Diego State University.
We had the chance to volunteer in a community garden which was exciting since it was my first time to join such an activity!
Hollywood has always been on my list. Finally, I visited my favorite star, Muhammed Ali, and I went for a tour with my program of Beverly Hills, saw the Hollywood sign, and visited the Griffith Observatory where I could see all of LA from above.
My time in California was amazing! I will miss all my friends and the beautiful campus. Next, I’m flying to Omaha, Nebraska where I am enthusiastic to meet new friends and start my program at the University of Nebraska Medical Center.

August 2018

The international student orientation at the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) was a great start to my program. It gave me a broad overview of academic life and student activities. I also attended a barbeque party as part of our welcome week, which was fun. I met new friends and tried American food. There were also chances to win prizes, and luckily I won a gift from the UNMC store!
I come from a big city, Cairo, which is fast-paced with busy streets. Omaha contrasts Cairo with its peaceful air of calmness. I am glad I have the chance to experience both of these different lifestyles. In Omaha, I also visited the pedestrian bridge that connects Nebraska and Iowa. It was exciting to cross the Mississippi River into another state!

September 2018

Volunteering in U.S. communities was one of my goals during my time in the United States. Volunteering is a vital way to interact with people and to bring different cultures together. My UNMC team and I volunteered at a kids' awareness day about health. I discussed the importance of mental health with the attendees.
I also spent Labor Day in Omaha, which was full of parades, colors, and fun.
I flew into Chicago for a weekend to meet other Fulbrighters and explore the city. I met people from different backgrounds and cultures. One highlight was inviting some friends to an Egyptian restaurant, where we enjoyed traditional dishes. Chicago was wonderful.

October 2018

October in the United States is unique and the colorful autumn trees are gorgeous. Fall is my favorite season here.
In October, everyone was getting ready to celebrate Halloween. My host family hung their decorations all over the house, and we carved pumpkins into many different shapes and then put candles inside so they glowed!
As a volunteer member at Student Alliance for People of all Abilities (SAPA), my team and I organized a trick or treat day for children and their families. Witches, ghosts, supermen, and more were everywhere. It was delightful to share happiness with children in the community, and for many of them it was a welcome distraction.
After Halloween, I received a surprise after a long busy day of classes. My host family gifted me my first birthday present in the United States. I am so thankful for this kind act and their warm hospitality.

November 2018

I had never experienced snow in my life, so I was excited to see it for the first time! The Rocky Mountains in Colorado made my first experience amazing! The mountains were covered with snow and people were throwing snowballs and enjoying themselves outside.
Going hiking is a must in Colorado! I went with Theresa, who is an American Fulbright alum and an excellent guide. We visited Red Rocks Amphitheater, Lake Estes, and Eldorado Canyon State Park.

December 2018

I believe that December is my favorite month here in the United States. Lights and Christmas trees are everywhere. The way people celebrate Christmas here was new to me, and Sara and the rest of my host family were so welcoming to me during this time. Sara’s family gathering was lovely, with people of all different ages coming together, singing songs, and giving presents. Our little house was decorated for the season. Having a stocking with my name was lovely and so kind.

January 2019

Winter break was enjoyable, and I took a quick flight to the Statue of Liberty, which was exciting. New York City is one of the busiest cities, with people from all over the world. The yellow taxies and Times Square are landmarks that one cannot find elsewhere. Central Park was a breath of fresh air with its abundant green spaces. We also visited New Haven, a nearby city, with the One to World Organization. There we toured the campus of Yale University and attended a college football game. I am glad I had the chance to go on this trip and to see how diverse the United States is.

February 2019

Research is a tool to change the world. My daily hectic schedule is worth it because I hope that I can help ease suffering and pain. In addition to my lab work and classes, I volunteered at the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists. We are organizing for the Annual Scientific Meeting for Pharmacists at UNMC, where researchers meet and share their experiences. Being part of events like this is a vital part of the scientific field.

May 2019

May was my first time celebrating Ramadan in the United States, and my community here was very welcoming. Gathering together when fasting made my heart warm. The American Muslim Institute is a diverse place where Muslims from all over the globe share Ramadan together.

July 2019

Fireworks are in the air! On the 4th of July, people in the United States go out to parks to celebrate their independence day. Omaha’s firework display was breathtaking, and I had a great time at the festivities.

March 2019

My first visit to the southern part of the U.S. was when I was invited to attend the “Leveraging Diversity, Entrepreneurship, and Innovation for Economic Growth” Fulbright enrichment seminar in Atlanta, Georgia. It was a great opportunity to communicate with Fulbright Scholars from various fields and backgrounds from over 20 countries worldwide. This experience exceeded my expectations. I presented at different sessions about how to transfer our research into a real tool to contribute to our community’s economic growth, from vision to action.
The seminar paved the way for me to meet with successful leaders and entrepreneurs. Together with other Fulbright fellows, we visited Georgia Tech. We toured the invention studio where I saw real examples of young researchers, whose ideas the institute is helping to transfer into start-ups. One idea is now an Amazon product.
Also, I had the chance to meet a family in Atlanta and learn more about southern culture. We had a pleasant time sharing stories about culture, food, and traveling. I was happy when I learned that our hosts had visited my country and saw the Pyramids of Giza. Small world!
Finally, we were invited to a closing party and farewell dinner. While ending the conference was sad, these four days will forever be bright memories. Truly, diversity and communication are key factors for creating innovative minds and future leaders. Thank you Fulbright, for such a unique experience!


No comments:

Post a Comment