Friday, February 19, 2016

Moroccan Fulbright Student Awarded Prize for Renewable Energy Research


 
Ahmed Presenting to Judges at UMP-INNOVADAYS
 
On the 4th and 5th of November 2015, I had the opportunity to attend the second edition of the "UMP-INNOVADAYS" competition under the theme, "Innovation is the key for economic development in Eastern Morocco". This competition is held in Oujda, Morocco, and is meant to showcase innovative projects designed to improve economic growth in the region. During the competition, I presented my project "EnerSolOR, the Integration of Solar Energy in Eastern Morocco.” I’m proud to say it won second place!

For me, renewable energy is the solution to create energy independence for my country, and also to encourage sustainable development by decreasing the amount of atmospheric pollution such as CO2.  My project, 'EnerSolOR', which is also my PhD thesis topic, is a feasibility study on the integration of solar energy in Eastern Morocco. Through this study, I am trying to quickly and accurately assess the amount of solar radiation received by the Eastern region of Morocco, in order to build a scientific database.
 
In addition to this work, I am also conducting a similar study that explores ways to use the energy from the sun to resolve local problems such as rural electrification and sea water desalination. This is my research topic under Fulbright at the University of California, Merced, and is led by Professor Yanbao Ma. 

The UMP-INNOVADAYS competition was certainly a success; I am pleased that it also had a Fulbright connection. In addition to me, one of the organizers of the ceremony, Professor Boukhatem Noureddine, was a Fulbright alumnus. On this note, I would like to warmly acknowledge the Fulbright Commission as well as AMIDEAST in Morocco and the United States for funding a part of my research projects. I would like to also acknowledge my supervisors Professor Ahmed Mezrhab at the University Mohammed I in Morocco and Professor Yanbao Ma at the University of California, Merced. Finally, I dedicate this prize to my mother and father.

~
 
Ahmed is currently conducting research at the University of California, Merced. He plans to finish his PhD at the University of Mohammed I, and then to conduct research in a laboratory or a research institute in the field of solar energy development.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment