Wednesday, August 19, 2015

My Experience at the United Nations in NYC






I attended a conference about youth engagement for sustainable development goals at the United Nations (UN) headquarters in New York City. I learned about this opportunity because one of my fellow Fulbrighters that I met earlier this year at a Fulbright Enrichment Seminar regarding global health posted a call for applications. The purpose was to gather students involved in campus organizations and have them contribute to the UN’s engagement in involving youth in the debate on sustainable development goals that are set to replace the Millennium Development Goals ending this year. The conference was an opportunity for me to engage with 500 young student leaders from more than 50 countries. We had keynote speakers including:

Dr. Jeffrey Sachs, Director of Earth Institute Columbia University & United Nations Secretary-General’s Special Adviser on the Millennium Development Goals
Federico Alberto González, Ambassador of Paraguay to the United Nations
Terry Crews, famous actor and National Football League star 

Photo with Terry Crews!


I had the opportunity to deliver a speech about the people's struggle to access quality healthcare services both in Tataouine, Tunisia and Brooklyn, NY in collaboration with another NYU student, while representing Tunisia and promoting the Fulbright spirit. 



My UN experience has been amazing!





Oussama Zekri is a Tunisian Fulbrighter who is pursuing a Master’s in Health Administration at the University of South Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment