Monday, December 9, 2013

Fulbright Global Food Security Seminar

The 2013 Fulbright Global Food Security Seminar in Raleigh, North Carolina was one of the best experiences I have ever had. In a period of three days we had an intensive schedule of different sessions including lectures, panels, site visits and networking with other professionals. We also participated in a community event by the program “Stop Hunger Now,” an organization with a mission to end hunger during our lifetime. During this event we packed 12,000 meals for hungry children.

In addition to this volunteer activity, we had the chance to have dinner with an American family and meet Fulbrighters from different cultures and different disciplines. I am so glad that I was able to participate in this Enrichment Seminar. I learned about new technologies and research done regarding food security. As a graduate student in nutrition, I have previously approached this issue from a nutritionist’s point of view, but this seminar gave me the opportunity to see food security from a broader point of view. The seminar also provided the chance to network with other professionals in the field, meet other Fulbright students from all around the globe, and last but not least, to visit a new city and have fun which was also great. My time in Raleigh was a great opportunity to add to my previous knowledge and to learn about new ideas about the issue of food security that I can take back to my home country Lebanon, which is currently facing the issue of food security. I would like to thank Fulbright, IIE, and each and every person who put effort to make this seminar a successful one.

Houry Babahekian is a Lebanese Fulbright grantee pursuing a Master’s degree in Nutrition and Dietetics at University of New Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment